Tuesday, April 29, 2008

April rewind


I kind of suck at this whole blog thing.

Who has the time for these things anyways? What was I thinking when I signed myself up for this? Who knows really. Peer pressure I suppose. Well, no, that isn't it. I never smoked pot. Peer pressure can't crack me, the uncrackable. Besides, pot stinks. I'm already fat enough. I don't need to snack on Cool Ranch Dorritos after hitting the bong.

Enough of my non-drug existence. Back to the blog.

So I've toured three of America's most interesting cities. Hampton, Virginia is a fine little city on the coast. Okay food, good weather when I was there and amazing basketball. The most exotic food I ate was at this cool little deli. Little did I know that Jason's Deli is a major franchise that has stores in nearly every state in the U.S. of A. I'm an idiot. Throw in my red convertible Ford Mustang as my rental car and I felt like I was some frosted highlights away from being a true life version of my gay alter-ego Stefan. Fantasy almost met reality folks. That's friggin' scary.

Fayetteville, Arkansas was my next stop. [Enter joke here.] Screw you, that's a cool little piece of the South. Other than landing in a cow pasture in the middle of nowhere, Northwest Arkansas is a fun little town. The University of Arkansas was my main destination and I love being on a SEC campus in the spring. Just a great vibe. I almost wanted to go back to college. Nevermind. Screw college, the most overrated part of anyone's life. The Common Ground is my go-to spot every time I am in Hog Country. It's a little coffee house with an artsy vibe. Very Portland-like. You know I like me some Portland-vibe. The chipotle chicken pizza is a fine, fine choice if you ever pop your head into this little slice of heaven.

Finally, capping off my month was a trip to America's playground - Akron, Ohio.

There really isn't a need to comment, is there? It's friggin' Akron. I ate at Subway four times. That's culture folks.

Speaking of culture, I bought a new book, "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. So far, so good.

New additions to the iPod included:

  • New R.E.M. CD "Accelerate" (Just okay)
  • Two songs from The Dandy Warhols from "Welcome to the Monkey House" (The Last High and We Used to be Friends) The Last High is the gem
  • Some new to me but old to the world Johnny Cash
  • A Spoon song "Anything You Want" (jam)
  • A Strokes song "On the Other Side" (even bigger jam)
  • Tristan Prettyman's new CD "Hello" (hey, I live with women.)

  • I'm off this weekend from the road. My brother Aaron is getting married. Weird. But oh so cool. The entire family will be back in the ATL this week. That will be fun. I'm sure there will be a fist fight. We're redneck like that. Or maybe I am just a gangster.

    The road show will be local after the wedding. Work keeps me in town for a while. My next trips are to North Carolina, L.A. and New York City. That's a nice sampling of America if I say so myself.

    Any suggestions on a new book to read or any new music is welcomed.

    Don't worry, I already have Celiene Dion's greatest hit(s).

    1 comment:

    Adam & Kristen Birkmeyer said...

    I was reading "The Kite Runner" a while ago when I was in a book club, but it started getting disturbing and I put it down and then just never picked it back up. I guess I should give it one more try since pretty much everyone I know has read it. It's also a movie now. Maybe I'll do the high school cheat and just rent the movie instead. You'll have to let me know what you think when you finish the book. My personal favorite author is Jodi Picoult - she may be more appealing to the female audience, but once I pick up one of her books, I can't put it down until I finish it. Oh, and I know I keep harping on Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book, but I just finished that and it was an excellent read as well.

    Adam calls me the librarian sometimes because of how much I like to read. I just hope Rocklin will love it as much as I do. I know, I'm a nerd.